Perspective – Iceland – Harpa opera house

35 thoughts on “Perspective – Iceland – Harpa opera house

• biblionna says:

It’s brand new. I think it opened only last year. Many people in Reykjavik told us to check it out. They’re quite proud of it, and it has become something of a symbol for their economic recovery.

1. Jean says:

Intriguing. I assume there’s a ramp for a wheelchair user to go up and down for multi-tiered levels /mezzanines. Or maybe the architect thinks they can be covered off by an elevator, which is not the same experience at all.

2. Jean says:

Sorry, just realized you are a librarian….so am I, a MLS-tagged one. 🙂 I just haven’t worked in a library for past few years.

3. sgchatelain says:

I was there last June. It is an amazing building. When the sun comes in the colours spread across the floor. The reflections on the outside windows make it look like bubbles. :0)

4. Niki, unifiedspace says:

I was there in January, I also posted about it! It was so huge I felt like Alice in Wonderland when I was walking around it. I love the colour themed concert halls too, interesting use of colour.

5. kinetikat says:

Wow. Fantastic interlocking shapes, I can see me standing inside or outside this building, rotating gently on one foot while gazing upwards, drooling gently and crooning, “Soooo…. preeetttyyy….”

6. John J. Rigo, Texas' Poet says:

I have had the honor of being stationed in Iceleand for one year (1962-1963) while a member of the U.S. Air Force representing NATO Command. I had the responsibility of being the administrator of a NATO Cosmic Top Secret Registry located on the only protectives security forces’ base for this country at that time. Iceland, and its people, are truly the most beautiful of countries, with the most beautiful people, I have ever known. It is my hope and dream to return one day for an extended visit.

• biblionna says:

I was blown away by how beautiful and pristine the country is. I was only there for a few days, but I was very impressed by how the Icelandic people truly love and appreciate their country, and how open they are to sharing it with others.

• John J. Rigo, Texas' Poet says:

Thank you for your comment regarding your experience. The Icelandic people are a beautiful people, but outside, as well as in spirit. My year in Iceland while a member of the AIr Force was a great experience.

7. Mormon Soprano says:

Wow! What a visually stunning entrance and anterior. Get any shots of the interior concert hall? Did you attend a performance? As an opera singer, I was wondering how the acoustics are. Congrats on being F-P – MoSop

• biblionna says:

You could walk all over the lobby area and hallways, but the concert hall itself was locked. I wasn’t able to see a performance unfortunately; we were too pressed for time. And thanks!

8. jenniesisler says:

I find it interesting how modern this building looks and the age of the music that’s performed there. For some reason it makes me think of Wagner’s Ring Cycle….congrats on being Freshly Pressed and thank you for sharing your photos.